If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, your primary objective, other than ensuring a healthy recover, should be centered on finding the responsible party and collecting the compensation you need. If local law enforcement is able to track down and identify the responsible party for your hit-and-run injuries, you will have the opportunity to file a lawsuit to recover damages. However, if you are not able to find the responsible party, you must file a claim with your insurance company if you wish to recover any lost damages. In either scenario, you can contact an experienced attorney to help guide you through the process.
What to do immediately following a hit-and-run accident
Hit-and-run accidents can be devastating. Although you may feel disoriented, angry, and confused, it is important to remember that time is of the essence. You should complete the following steps as quickly as possible while at the scene of the crime:
- Try to write down every important detail you can remember about the crime. The vehicle make and model, color, a description of the other driver, license plate information, and so on.
- If you you can’t remember the exact details, jot down a description as accurate as possible. For example, “blue SUV,” “female driver,” “ran red light at intersection.”
- Take photos! Even though your version of the accident will likely hold more weight than anything else, you should still be sure to take photographic evidence to support your claim.
- Seek medical treatment. A hit-and-run is still a car accident. Even though you cannot immediately hold the negligent driver responsible, your health is still top priority.
- Keep your phone call with your insurance company straight and simple. Avoid telling them about your physical and/or emotional condition. Stick to the facts only. This is imperative in the event that they try to deny your claim.
- If the negligent party can be found, contact a Las Vegas car accident attorney at Craig P. Kenny and Associates IMMEDIATELY.
Hit-and-run injuries have the potential to result in expensive treatment. It is important to follow the above steps to ensure you are properly compensated for your injuries and property damage. If you’ve been injured in a Las Vegas hit-and-run, contact our office today for a free case review. Even if you cannot track down the responsible party, you are not alone. The attorneys at Craig P. Kenny and Associates are here for you.